Monday, September 8, 2014

Lasagna that everyone will enjoy

I don't know about you but I love Italian food. When it comes to lasagna I'm picky and so is my family. I'll admit to buying the frozen premade stuff a long time ago but I could never pass that along to my kids anymore nor would I want to.

This lasagna recipe is for the picky eater. I've won over the pickiest of eaters.
There are three main reasons why this recipe will win over the picky eaters.
#1 You will not find any chunky tomatoes (something my son continues to ask)
#2 The white cheese mixture is not chunky, I think I see a pattern here. It's very smooth.
#3 It has just a hint of sweetness in it...not including the sweetness from the cook:)

 As I've mentioned before, I cook for a crew. This recipe yields 2 foil pans (11 x 9 ish) serving about 10 hungry folks.
This size pan was perfect for my family plus one  = 9 (we always have at least a plus one, love that)
It's a heavier meal so it really goes a long way and now I have a pan in the freezer for when I'm feeling lazy:) or on those ever so frequent busy athletic nights.

I'm not at my computer today so pictures will come later.
Now for the good stuff. That's why you're here right?
Remember, this is making you 2 meals worth.

3 lbs of ground meat (I almost always used ground turkey)
2 T of sugar OR honey
2t salt or a good hefty pinch
1/2 t pepper or pinch (honestly I never measure this part)
15 oz. can of tomato sauce
12 oz. can of tomato paste
16 oz. cream cheese ( 2 normal size blocks)
16 oz. sour cream (do not use fat free)
One box of lasagna noodles
8 cups Mozzarella cheese

Let start cookin!
I'm going to write instruction exactly how I do it...being a good cook takes practice in multitasking.

Set out the cream cheese to get to room temp.
Next, start browning the meat in a large frying pan making sure you chop it up good with the spatula so that there are no big chunks, you can season the meat here lightly with garlic powder.
While meat is browning start cooking your noodles. Tip: don't out noodles into the water until water is boiling.
Drain your meat and put back into the pan for more ingredients.
Drain your noodles in same strainer...the hot water will help clean the grease off the strainer for later:)
I like to lay the noodles out flat on paper towels to dry a bit.
Put both the tomato sauce and tomato paste into the meat. Combine well. Now add the sweetness (honey or sugar) and the salt and pepper. Combine well-
Now for the cheese mixture.
Mix the cream cheese and sour cream together. I like to use a mixture to really mix it good.

Now, your already almost done! This part is the fun part.
Bring all your mixtures, mozzarella, cheese and dishes close.
I like to add a bit of olive oil to the bottom of the dish.
Line the bottom with about 6 noodles (you will have to over lap.
Then add cheese mixture, meat, then mozzarella. Next layer...only half the noodles...no over leaping this time. Followed by the same cheese/meat/cheese.

Bake at 350* for 20 minutes or until golden brown edges appear. Most of my family likes the lasagna to be mostly golden brown but you fix it how you think yours would enjoy best.

Enjoy with a small side salad, and bread YUM!








No comments:

Post a Comment